Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wiki

I like this. Besides wikipedia, I've only ever used wiki's once, but I didn't create it and did very little editing, and a lot of reading. Even with wikipedia, I don't really create/edit, I read. So, I was understandably skeptical about this whole thing. First off, I have a predjudice against wikipedia because I've been told that since anyone can edit it, the information may not be accurate. While that's true, I've always thought it was a good source for pop culture materials, but not really for research.

Recently, as in just before this web 2.0 thing kicked off, I discovered wikiHow which is a useful site about how to do just about anything from being a glitter goth to cooking a five course meal. And I love that site. Anyone can post on it, and others can comment on how useful they found the how to.

I love the idea of an open catalogue like Open World Cat, as long as ,like WorldCat, the core material isn't changeable. Also, Wiki's in Plain English was an awesome video. It made me really understand the benefits of wikis. Inside the system, it could be useful to share programming ideas or coordinate programs between many different branches. Or to answer patron questions, like an FAQ wiki.

I was skeptical at first about this, but I like it now that I understand it a bit better.

No comments: