Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Delicious Technorati with Library 2.0

Sounds yummy doesn't it? ^_^ These are the next three things in the 23 things project.

1st-- We were asked to explore del.icio.us-- a social bookmarking site. I think this a cool idea, and I could definitely see its uses professionally. It would be cool to be able to bookmark sites with craft ideas and program ideas and share that with other people and see what other people have found interesting in the same categories. Not that I could do this at home. (I tend to bookmark inane things like icanhascheezburger.com and 80's cartoons on youtube.)

2nd-- Next I headed over to technorati (awesome name by the way!) I searched the library's website, but I didn't find much related to it. I did learn about the new I-phone and twitter when I searched Web 2.0. I would think the idea of twittering was cool if it weren't imitated already on so many other social networking sites. So, Web 2.0 committee-- no twittering for you! ^_~

3rd-- The last thing I had to look at were some library 2.0 things. And my first thought was. What a cool time to be a librarian. (or to be becoming a librarian) The entire concept of library 2.0 is awesome. The landscape of the library as we know it is changing. I'm sure that's frightening but it's also exciting. One of the articles mentioned Myspace and how many libraries are using that to reach out to their patrons. I've been an advocate for that since I came to the library. Another talked about how libraries of the futures will be shaped more by patrons. (Not that we don't already work to supply our patrons with everything they need) But the content will be shaped by them. For example, the online catalog of the future may allow patrons to tag books. What a neat idea.

All in all, it made me excited to be in the profession that I am in.

No comments: