Thursday, May 22, 2008

Taking a page out of Kate-monster's notebook

The internet is really really great
I’ve got a fast connection so I don’t have to wait
There's always some new site
I browse all day and night
It's like I’m surfing at the speed of light

I’m glad we have this new technology
Which gives us untold opportunity
Right from you own desktop
You can research browse and shop
Until you’ve had enough and you're ready to stop

~Avenue Q

That being said, I'm not one of those people who believe that the digital revolution is going to kill the printed page. I think that as far as reliable information goes, you should always look in a book. (A bias passed down from many a history professor with good reason.) And there's something about cracking open a book and reading it that will never lose its charm.

But the internet is pretty amazing. Current, pop culture information that wouldn't necessarily appear in books, like song lyrics or cast-lists for upcoming movies are at your fingertips if you know where to look. You can make friends from all over the world or keep in touch with people over long distances at the push of a button. That's awesome.

I actually had a conversation with my husband about this. We were talking about how we didn't really grow up with internet, but as teenagers, we quickly adapted to it. It's weird, how often I am online. I can't imagine when I was not, even though I know that I only got the internet in 8th grade. I can only imagine what it's like to grow up with it at your fingertips.

Sometimes, this worries me. I don't necessarily think it's good for kids to be plugged in at a young age. I mean, I think computer skills will be important to them in the future, but at the same time, I can't imagine allowing a kid to play something like an MMO-- it worries me. Things like too dangerous, who knows who they could be talking to, and too addictive pop into my head. Which is hypocritical to say the least, as I play MMO's.

I suppose, the answer, as with most things, is parenting and setting boundaries. I'm glad that even though I didn't necessarily grow up with the technology, I am familiar enough with it to know both the benefits and the dangers.

1 comment:

Suvi aka CFL said...

I KNOW! I was practically shaking after a couple of days when I traveled and hadn't been able to get online... For me it's more like a zillion stops although I never remember that I have a bloglines account. I haven't had time to explore LJ in depth...
Work calls...